Monday, January 7, 2013

Ocean of Jade - Generation One, Chapter Two


Such a horrible bed. I woke up to the first morning light coming up over the hillside, and ocean, and had this horrendous feeling over me as if today, of all days, was going to be a very unlucky one. My back ached, the back of my head hurt, and the day was just beginning. Stumbling out of the bedroom, and a long shower to try and help my aching back, I headed to bring the paper in, and went to find something I could make myself for breakfast while trying to find part time job just until I got on my two feet.



Looking in the refrigerator, I seen all the ingredients to make a batch of homemade waffles, and decided to try my hand at it, despite I've never made them before. How hard could it be anyhow, right? Mixing all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and everything was ready to go, I popped everything into the oven, yes, the oven, and while it cooked I read over the classifieds section. Perhaps I read a little too long, because the moment I looked up from smelling smoke, the entire oven was barreling smoke out, and before I could get it under control the entire thing just caught on fire! Grabbing my cell phone, I called the fire department, and everything turned out okay, including a small chat with the cute fireman.




Deciding to have a bowl of cereal, I cleaned up the kitchen after eating, and tearing out the address of a vineyard needing someone to help with their orchard, I tossed the rest of the newspaper in the recycle, and took a cab to the address. It was a beautiful place, and it was better to get my hands dirty to be able to pay the bills while trying to hook a book deal, than not having any money at all. I worked hard in the orchard all day, and barely made it home by nightfall. and practically collapsed into my doorway. It had been dreadfully hot all day and after all that hard work. I took a much needed soak in the bathtub and curled up in bed.


1 comment:

  1. You say the fireman is cute but is he really? I mean... can hardly see his face! Lol, maybe in the coming chapters we'll get a better look? :P Working in the orchard though, especially in summer can be exhausting! Kudos to you, though hopefully soon you'll get a good offer to publish your book.

    ReplyDelete